Bulgur experiment

The Turkish shop around the corner had bulgur on special offer, so I just had to try making something with it. Because I’d never prepared bulgur, I decided to at least partially follow a recipe. The one I used was for Lebanese bulgur. I did not alter much though. I added crushed cashews and otherwise just used shallots instead of onions, did not mince the garlic and used less oil, considering I made the stuff for nearly 30 people. For seasoning I chose vegetable stock. The result: absolutely delicious!

The curry was made from a big packet of dried chick peas which were soaked over night and boiled soft-ish in salt water. What I added was approximately:
2 celeriac, chopped finely
4 turpics, chopped finely
3 red chillies, chopped finely
about 8 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
about 6 shallots
1 large can (800g) of tomato puree
lots of basil
an assortment of spices (I think black mustard seeds, paprika, a little ground cumin, coriander, tumeric and cinnamon)
salt, pepper, extra cayenne
lime juice

Both chilli and bulgur tasted best the next day!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s